Thursday, November 01, 2007
Ok....I know it has been a long, long time since I have posted anything. That is mainly due to the fact that there really has been far too much going on for me to post anything of substance...till now.

This past Sunday I had the priviledge of spending 3 days with my pastor. Two of which were spent driving from Granbury to Amarillo for the BGCT Convention. That time spent talking of everything under the sun was very cool. But to the concerns at hand.

The first thing that I noticed when we arrived at the convention center was the number of boothes that were there, as they are at most conferences. We first had to walk through and check out all the free stuff. hehe.

We then went to the first workshop session led by Dr Stiver of Hardin-Simmons University. He taught on the incarnational aspect of the cannon. By the end of the session, he said that, basically,"If, for example, the denominations came together and looked at the Gospel of Judas, and agreed that there were statements that we thought were from Jesus and they rang true for some of us, then why not add it to the canon?"

Excuse me?

The canon is closed. Done. Fini.

Then came the first general session. Out of a 5000 seat auditorium, it was maybe, maybe two-thirds full. The nominations were made for president beginning with the nomination for David Lowrie, which the concluding statement was "If ya can't vote for David...vote for Joy" (Joy Fenner). Play on words...cute. Campaign for the opposition in your nomination. Then was Mrs. Fenner's nomination. Round of applause. Atleast half of the audience.

The vote was taken and the results announced about an hour later. Lowrie-840, Fenner-900. Closest vote ever. Now, only 1740 voting messengers, out of the 5700 (allegedly) churches statewide.

It should send a message to the leadership of the convention. That half of the voting convention members supported their nominee. Not good sign. Of course it was obvious who voted and how because only half the auditorium applauded.

Next came the vote on the budget for 2008. The convention that says it is all about missions and church plants...cut the missions budget by $500 thousand. Of course when you aren't pouring millions into fake church plants in the Valley, it isn't that big of deal. The money is actually going INTO church plants and missions.

I just said more about Valley-gate than was said at the convention. Because nothing was said about it at the convention. No report of findings, apology for misuse of funds, etc.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the overall response that my pastor, Paul Duncan, and myself worked on in our overall concern. So those of you with curious minds, keep checkin in...I just got something worth writing about..

Soli Deo Gloria
 
posted by Aaron L. at 8:20 PM |


2 Comments:


At 7:56 AM, Blogger RLTilman

Way to lay it out there bro!!! I am glad some folks still believe in the bible and where it says not one jot or tittle shall be added or removed.
Stay strong!

 

At 8:52 AM, Blogger gmay

Your comments about the workshop at the BGCT are interesting. I read the pre workshop material available at the BGCT website and it raised flags for me as well. I was wanting to hear from someone who actually went to the workshop. My suspicions may very well be true.